JotForm BETA Released

I am very excited to announce that the first web based WYSIWYG form builder JotForm BETA is now released. Try it yourself.

Completely Free!

Easy Try Out!
You can try it out without creating an account. Hey, if you only want a tool to create form source code for you, just create your form, get its source without even creating an account on the JotForm site. You will not even leave the homepage! It is probably one of the easiest ways to create forms.

But Can It Collect Data?
Although implementing the first real web WYSIWYG form editor was a very interesting task by itself, it is not that useful. All form building tools on the web provide data collection and access. So does JotForm. It is really easy to see results on the my forms section and you can even export them as Excel, CVS or some other delimited format. You can also receive notification emails.

Tools, tools, tools
JotForm is built on top of two super cool JavaScript libraries Prototype and Script.aculo.us. The server end is built using PHP and Mysql. Currently completely empty and lonely Forum runs on phpBB. Please if you are reading this go post a feature request or an angry bug report. The graphics are done on Photoshop and tour movies made with Camtasia Studio.

24 Responses to “JotForm BETA Released”

1. Alex says:

It is great!!!! I had an idea like that for the company I worked for….I think you should also license the library like a component so that people can use them in their projects. If you do that, you already have at least one customer.

We use dundas software components and they charge per server, I think it is working for them, maybe you should think about it. We would be very happy to license it from you.

Great work. :d

2. Aytekin says:

Thanks Alex. I think that’s something I will seriously consider. At this point JotForm is just too new to release commercially as a component. Let’s use it heavily for couple of months and it should become stable enough for that.

3. [...] JotForm was released yesterday.Bult on JavaScript libraries Prototype and Script.aculo.us, Jotform is an online WYSIWYG form builder, works on Ajax, Instant Edit and JavaScript. As per Aytekin Tank, It would be the first real completely web based WYSIWYG form builder. I really like the interesting idea behind this. Drag-Drop Form fields and a very neat interface . [...]

4. [...] JotForm was released yesterday.Bult on JavaScript libraries Prototype and Script.aculo.us, Jotform is an online WYSIWYG form builder, works on Ajax, Instant Edit and JavaScript. As per Aytekin Tank, It would be the first real completely web based WYSIWYG form builder. I really like the interesting idea behind this. Drag-Drop Form fields and a very neat interface . Completely Free! JotForm is currently completely free. It will stay this way during BETA period. I must admit I have not decided on a business model yet. The most possible outcome will be a Pro version where users will get more benefits. At this point I am more interested in seeing the interest in this tool, collecting feedback from users and weeding out all the bugs. [...]

5. Boris Mann says:

We’re thinking of re-implementing this on top of the Drupal framework as the new version of the survey.module.

It would be even better if perhaps you have a Pro version as a service (like suveymonkey.com), but actually open source the components underneath.

6. Sven says:

Great implementation. Some minor issues on Firefox (e.g. text color seems off for recently added fields). Quite frankly, I think I could ask my clients to use this tool and create/test survey’s themselves, then forward it to me once done for integration into the site.

7. Vincent says:

I second Alex. There is a great potential for your application inside the corporate intranets. For the moment, creating surveys is too complicated (and is often buggy…). Your project’s usability is great. It deserve to be successfull in the coming weeks.

8. James says:

Great tool!
    However, you should consider integrating the label tag – it helps out on the universal usability front, and also in some browsers mousing over or clicking the label for a checkbox/radio button will highlight/toggle the control – nice and rich client like.

9. Seshu says:

This is a rockin’ tool. I have been using a third-party form builder with mixed success. I will give your product a shot. Please (PLEASE) let me know when you offer the pro version. I know I will sign up – faaaaaast! Good luck. I’ll post about this product on my blog – TIFFINBOX (http://www.tiffinbox.org) in the next couple of days. Watch for it!

10. Why is the JotForm logo just a skewed version of the ‘business’ widget icon from the OS X dashboard?

11. Aytekin says:

stuart, I bougth it from a web site that sells OS X look and feel icons. Even though I have been developing JotForm on my Powerbook G4, I wasn’t aware of the similarity until recently. It is not exactly same but it looks awfully a lot like the phonebook icon for the dashboard.

12. Cool, just wanted to raise the question.

13. Darren Fast says:

Great tool!!! I created a form and put it up on my site with about 5 minutes of effort. Would it be possible to customize the width of the form? My blog is narrower than the form and the form hangs over into the sidebar.

Keep up the great work!!

14. [...] Сервис был запущен совсем недавно (17-го февраля). Он страшноват и глюковат, но всеже удобен и даже понравился. Формы легко и быстро создаются с помощью Drag n Drop интерфейса. Русский вроде бы как работает. [...]

15. Aytekin says:

Darren, yes you can do change the size. First click on the Source Mode icon on the form editor and copy the source code. Then paste it into a text editor and search and replace “520″ with the width pixel size you would like to use on your blog. Then paste that modified HTML code into your blog template.

16. Miguel says:

¡Fantastico! me funciona perfectamente, gracias por el servicio prestado de jotform. Un cordial saludo.

17. Lee Kolbert says:

I would like to use Jotform in a district-wide, eductional setting. What can you tell me about the security of the data being entered by users? Do you sell/share the information? Also, the form displays strangely in IE but OK in Safari and Firefox (PC and Mac).

Thanks,
    Lee

18. richard says:

Great tool. I would like to integrate into a site. Can it be done and at what cost? Excellent tool

Richard

19. Yoh says:

Aytekin, great job! Here’s a quick note: In IEWin and in Firefox, when the Properties box is expanded, the entire page seems to get longer, and even though there doesn’t seem to be any real content, the scrollbars activate. Especially in Firefox, where the scrollbars aren’t present unless they have to be, it jolts the page, taking away from the smoothness gained by using AJAX.

20. Mike G. says:

Awesome site man, this has saved me some time, thanks!

21. Neil says:

Is there no way to download/buy the software?

22. Fatih Demir says:

Aytekin hocam, mükemmel bir iş çıkarmışsınız.
    Ağzım açık siteyi gezdim diyebilirim. Ve çokda işime yaradı, yapmış olduğum bir sitenin Siparişlerinde kullanmak üzere, yapmış olduğun hizmetden faydalandım.

Web Teknolojilerinin gerçekten aştığını, bir kez daha bu siteyi keşfederek farketmiş bulunuyorum.

Teşekkürler emeğin için.

23. Julie Thrasher says:

I love this and am using it with my students at school. When considering your developments, please remember us little guys, not in business, who can’t afford huge costs – a small cut down version for free, as you have now, is fantastic.

Thanks so much for a wonderful application – I love it and will be telling all my friends about it!!

24. Cool says:

Hey, cool tips. Perhaps I’ll buy a bottle of beer to the person from that chat who told me to go to your site :)